MX80 Disklavier questions

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 00:05:58 EDT

Howdy folks,

I got a call to tune a Yamaha MX80 with Disklavier that plays continuously in
a Chinese restaurant.  I tuned it last year, and it had no real problems to
speak of.  When I walked in, my contact told me that it "makes a real funny
noise, like it's hitting on wood."  I tuned it(it was at pitch, and in remarkably
good tune all things considered), and noticed alot of bubbling hammers.
Keydip was shy almost 2 mm from the factory spec of 10 mm.

I am not that familiar with the workings of these players.  In a standard
piano, I'd either shim the balance rail or take out paper or cardboard punchings
from the front rail to increase aftertouch.  What stopped me from doing that
was the square metal tab that protrudes from the bottom of the key and slips
into a sensor slot on the keybed.  I have no desire to alter the depth of travel
and possibly alter the elecronic end of the instrument.  Does anyone have
experience with this problem with these instruments?

I never did find the woody sound while tuning the piano, but as soon as I
turned on the player mechanism, there it was, a really loud, obnoxious clack
everytime F4 was played.  It didn't take long to figure out that it was the
solenoid knocking against the metal that covers all of the solenoids.  I pulled up
on it manually, and it was noisy; it was the only solenoid that made the noise.
 I'm assuming that a grommet or rubber washer of some sort is missing, but I
did not have time to take out all of the keys, remove the cover, and find out
what was amiss.  Nor did I have whatever part I might have needed.

I noticed how much the keys were lifted above the balance rail by the
solenoids, so I did a quick fix and lowered the adjustable metal key-stop rail to
limit the travel to the point where the solenoid would not max out.  I know this
is probably a short term solution.  I would certainly appreciate any advice,
information, and general wisdom about either or both of these problems.

I have not called Yamaha yet, but are they likely to be forthcoming with a
tech manual on this, or is there one online somewhere that someone could direct
me towards?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Stahl