MX80 Disklavier questions

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 08 Apr 2004 01:15:05 -0400

Dave,
         Some brief observations. 1st these regulate just like a normal=20
grand action once you remove the electronic rails and such. Be careful=20
which screws you remove to remove rails or you could be cranking screws=20
that are for adjustment of the rails. It's not real hard to figure out=20
which is which but do allow for more time if this is the first you've seen=
=20
of them.  It sounds as though you've found the problem likely6 exacerbated=
=20
or even caused by the incorrect dip. Look hard to see what may have caused=
=20
this. The old Wagon grand I service from time to time seems rather solid in=
=20
it's regulation and as you've noticed, tuning. It too is played all day=20
every day and yet is rather solid in it's performance not showing a great=20
deal of wear with it's high degree of usage.
         Once you are done with a normal grand regulation you can follow=20
menu screens to where the player mechanism will regulate itself to the new=
=20
condition of the grand action. This is noisy and probably not be done with=
=20
paying customers around. The player does a fine job of adapting itself to=20
the condition of the action and can even tell you on which notes that your=
=20
action regulation wasn't quite up to snuff. Since it seems that this piano=
=20
has never had the Disklavier service that it requires. I would recommend=20
that you study up and give it that service if you can or send someone out=20
who will. Don't forget that the pedal solenoid adjustments are among the=20
most important for the unit. Once these pianos are all dialed in they=20
perform marvelously and almost flawlessly for a very long time in my=20
experience. Good Luck!

Greg Newell

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9