kimball advice

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 18:17:37 EST

In a message dated 4/3/04 10:05:04 AM, edwithen@oregontrail.net writes:

> The balance rail seems to be correct and bedded on the key bed.=A0 The=20
> balance rail felts are good, and appear to be sufficient in thickness
>=20

Ed

Do you have The Piano Action Handbook by Randy Potter?   This book contains=20
the Manufacturer's Regulation Dimensions which should help you to diagnose=20
situations like this.    Key Height, Sharp Height, Hammer Blow, Hammer Let O=
ff,=20
Key Dip, Back Check Distance and Drop (on grands) are detailed for each=20
manufacturer of pianos.   Looking under Kimball, for example, I find that th=
e Key=20
Height, depending on the model, varies from 2 3/8 inches to 2 3/4 inches.  =20=
That's=20
a difference of 3/8"!  So when you say that the balance rail "seems to be=20
correct", I wonder if you have measured the key height and compared it to th=
e=20
Kimball's specifications.

It sounds to me as if you have diagnosed the problem correctly, but to be=20
sure I would look it up in the PAH.   Either shimming up the balance rail OR=
=20
lowering the front rail would increase key dip.

This book is available from   the PTG, I believe, and is worth every penny.

Tom Sivak
Chicago