RC vs CC again

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:10:13 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 30, 2003 6:18 AM
Subject: Re: RC vs CC again

> Well.. dont know.. but upon directly asking the folks I know at Steinway
> on two occasions
> I've been told machine crowned ribs, panel dried out to just under 5%.
> Curved caul is also correct.
>
> I dont think there is any question as to whether or not the board is CC
> and crown is primarilly panel supported tho.
>
> But I'll ask some more in a couple weeks. The annual Nordic Piano
> Technicians Convention is up and I'm attending and giving a class again.
> Andre's on the bill this year as well. Folks like Jan Grossbach will be
> there.. and if anyone knows this kind of thing... he's one of them.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

You might also ask when the change was made. I spent a week at the NY
factory in the 1970s at which time the ribs in the act of being glued onto
soundboards were quite definitely flat. At the time the MC of the
soundboard panels was held 4.0% during the summer and 3.8% during the
winter. Or as close to that as they could come. Obviously, I have no idea
what went on the week before or the week following my time there. But I had
no reason to believe they changed anything just for me.

Del