RC vs CC again

Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:20:03 +0200

Phillip Ford wrote:

> Thanks for you comments.  I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by panel supported.  Are you referring to bending resistance of the panel itself, or are you talking about shear interaction between the rib and panel, as in a compression crowned board?  Or are you referring to something else altogether?  Why would you categorize a panel that has not been severely dried, and to which crowned ribs are attached, as primarily panel supported?
> --------------------

Phil, "panel supported" referes to the perspective of soundboard
construction that deals primarilly with structural strength.  In a
compression sound board, the panels compression is what holds forces and
holds the crown. The ribs will resist the crown. In a rib crowned board
the the panels compression is low, and doesnt force much additional
crown into the already rib crowned assembly. So in the former the panel
supports the crown, whereas in the latter the ribs do.

> There are currently two manufacturers contributing to this list who are in
> the process of beginning production of pianos with as close to pure RC&S
> soundboards as you'll find anywhere. I am very much looking forward to the
> results of both their efforts. The first couple of hundred production
> pianos should give us all ample statistical samplings to form an opinion -
> all of which will undoubtedly differ.

I am sure we all look forward and wish them success. But as to the
possibility of sheding new light on the discussion at hand, I think
rather there is little chance of that. RC boards have been around for a
long time, and the discussion here has been really carried on for a very
long time.

In my view, the RC boards greatest strength is at the same time its
greatest weakness. It is ... predictable. Both structually, and
musically. It is fortunate that there are many many people who enjoy
this predictablity, just as it is fortunate that very many enjoy the
moment of surprise. That leaves plenty of room for both types of pianos
to fill. As in all things art.. this discussion is not really about the
right way or the wrong way... or anybody in particulars way.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.