RC vs CC again

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 22:44:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Phil:

I am curious how the RC boards you heard were set up with respect to
hammers.  I do agree with Robin H. that the hammer style and even the shank
is and can be critical to the type of tone and color that will be produced.
I have had experiences with changing original shanks to Renner (keeping
original hammers) on an older Steinway and noticing a difference in
tone--so did the customer, by the way.  With the current trend toward
putting hard hammers such as Abel or Renner on rebuilt NY Steinways, how
much do you think the hammer may have contributed to the fact that you were
not wowed by these instruments.

David Love

David,

I don't remember in all cases.  I know on a few of the pianos that I saw they had used Renner shanks and Abel hammers.  It could very well have contributed to my reaction to the pianos.  There are so many variables to contend with in trying to make evaluations of any individual element.  It would be interesting to play a piano that represents what the advocates of rib crowning believe to be a prime example of their principles put into action.

Phil Ford