Cleaning Glue Pots

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:33:06 -0700

Many months ago I posted the in/outs of hide glue. 72 hours and pitch it!
Hmmm? Don't think it had the cleaning procedure, so here's what I do.
I have two small copper glue pots, (double boiler types, a la European
vintage). When it's time to chuck it, I first make up a fresh batch, so
there isn't a lag time. Usually, the pot is pretty close to empty, even tho
I replenish as I use it. So, I fill the pot completely full with tap water
and leave it on the heat while it thins out. Once it has thinned, I grab a
thick rag and cart it into the laundry room sink. I get the hot water as hot
as it comes out of the tap and then put the glue pot under. I've already put
a plastic "kurly kate" in the drain, so's my thermometer/stir stick and
application brush stay in the sink. (DAMAI!) Once the water runs clear, I
grab an S.O.S. pad and give it a very good scrubbing. Rinse. put a few drops
of bleach in the main container and swish. Rinse again. Take it back into
the shop and put it on the, still hot, heater. (Oh, don't forget to change
the water in the outer jacket!) Let set on the heat until the pot is dry.
Turn off that heater. Done. Ready for the next batch.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I