RC vs CC again

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:44:13 -0700

>Phillip Ford wrote:
>And I haven't yet become personally convinced that a RC
>>soundboard can produce this.
>

>Phil,
>If I understand you right, you don't think a Rib Crowned board can
>be built to sound like a Panel Crowned board. If I have this right I
>say I can't agree. If you make the board with the same sized ribs,
>the same crown, the same panel thickness and and they both have the
>some bearing then I believe they will sound the same. They will have
>the same mass and stiffness and therefor the same acoustical
>properties.
>
>John Hartman RPT

John ,

What I was trying to say was that I don't know if a rib crowned board
can be built to sound like a panel crowned board.  I don't have much
basis for comparison, since I've heard only a few of what I believed
to be rib crowned boards.  These haven't achieved the same high level
as some pianos I've heard with panel crowned boards.  Based on my
personal experience I therefore have to conclude either:

1.  A rib crowned board can't sound as good as the best panel crowned board.

2. I haven't heard a broad enough group of samples to see that they
are equivalent sonically.

If I understand Ron N correctly, he believes that you can't just
substitute a rib crowned board for a panel crowned board.  Some
redesign would be necessary.  Would you agree with that assessment?

Phil Ford