RC vs CC again (was Re: compression ridges)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:03:17 -0400

Phillip Ford wrote:
And I haven't yet become personally convinced that a RC
> soundboard can produce this.

Phil,
If I understand you right, you don't think a Rib Crowned board can be
built to sound like a Panel Crowned board. If I have this right I say I
can't agree. If you make the board with the same sized ribs, the same
crown, the same panel thickness and and they both have the some bearing
then I believe they will sound the same. They will have the same mass
and stiffness and therefor the same acoustical properties.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979