RC vs CC again (was Re: compression ridges)

Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:29:19 +0200

John... others

Been thinking a bit on this idea that RC and CC boards can be made to
have some sort of equality about them.

You say, and I've heard this before, that a panel with same thickness,
and same dimensioned ribs, with same crown will sound the same. But for
a CC board to have the same crown as a RC board with same dimensioned
ribs and same panel thickness, the panel must be under significantly
greater compression then the RC board... yes ? If its under more
compression and all these other moments are equal.. is it not then more
stiff then the RC board. And when down bearing is applied does not this
further change the situation with regards to stiffness.

When I think about it.. the only way you could achieve same stiffness
for same panel thickness and same rib dimensions is to guestimate what
amount of crown would result in same stiffness for equal bearing...

Yes ???

And even if such sameness was easily achieved... it rather applies only
as long as the climate remains static... no ??

Thanks for your thoughts

RicB