compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 23:00:32 +0200

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> >Hey... its you who preach the self destruct thing... what.... you trying to
> >tell me that you believe the instrument will sound just as good whether its
> >soundboard self destructs or not ??
>
> Why wouldn't it? - until it self destructs. I've seen it happen many times
> and said so on the list.

Im sorry... did you answer the question I asked there ??

> When a previously nice sounding piano develops a
> killer octave problem one winter that the customer complains about and
> want's fixed, doesn't that qualify as something being wrong?

If a customer has a complaint then you of course try to locate the source of his /
her dissatisfaction.

> Again, this
> has been explained to you over and over again. You've never had this happen
> in all the years you've been servicing pianos, and couldn't fix it with
> voicing because it was a soundboard problem? If not, you are either
> exceptionally lucky, unaware, or expert with voicing techniques.

Of course I've run into the K point problem area. Who hasnt. It can show up in any
piano when it comes down to it. As I've improved in voicing techniques I've
improved in dealing with it, as with other areas that challange the voicer.

> But that
> doesn't answer the question. Have you known any of us to say that all
> Steinways sounded bad (or even most Steinways, for that matter), or that a
> good rib crowned board sounded better than a good compression crowned
> board?

If I am not to infere that CC boards are not doomed to the fate of sounding bad due
to compression damage from what you and others have stated time and time again...
then say so straight out and be done with it.  But it seems to me you've been at
the forefront of those scorning the employement of the CC board for this exact
reason.  How many times have we heard how these dont even make it to the dealership
without being ruined ??

Besides... I have never accused anyone of asserting the rib crowned board sounds
generally better then a cc board... I've been refering to the claims made as to the
self destruct nature of the cc board and its real significance as relates to the
real world of pianists and the pianos they choose to buy.

> You haven't, because none of us have ever said that or anything like
> it, that I'm aware of. Since you've been shouting this premise down so
> actively of late, I'm wondering where you got it.

There you go putting words in my mouth again... I've not put that premise down at
all... anywhere.  Its the claims of self destruct, leading to manditory inferior
performance I've been refering too

> >Come on... Either you take a stand or you
> >dont.
>
> Oh, I do, just not the conveniently and simplistically chopped up stand
> you're trying to assign me.

Er... would that be the... they do sound good stand, or they dont stand,  or the
that depends on whether or not they've self destructed yet stand, or whether or not
the customer can hear the problem stand ?

> Ron N

I'm aware of your stand Ron, and the reasoning behind it.... as are most of us
regulars on this list.  Its just that there is this huge gapping hole in it that
will not go away. Whether you want to recognize that or not is your buisness.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.