compression ridges in New Baldwin grand

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:02:15 -0500

> > One last futile question. Have any of the people favoring rib crowning
> > soundboards ever said that all Steinways sounded bad, or that a good rib
> > crowned board sounded better than a good compression crowned board? I'm not
> > interested in what you intuitively think might have been implied when
> > enough detail is ignored, I want to know if any of us have ever said this.
>
>Hey... its you who preach the self destruct thing... what.... you trying to
>tell me that you believe the instrument will sound just as good whether its
>soundboard self destructs or not ??

Why wouldn't it? - until it self destructs. I've seen it happen many times
and said so on the list. When a previously nice sounding piano develops a
killer octave problem one winter that the customer complains about and
want's fixed, doesn't that qualify as something being wrong? Again, this
has been explained to you over and over again. You've never had this happen
in all the years you've been servicing pianos, and couldn't fix it with
voicing because it was a soundboard problem? If not, you are either
exceptionally lucky, unaware, or expert with voicing techniques. But that
doesn't answer the question. Have you known any of us to say that all
Steinways sounded bad (or even most Steinways, for that matter), or that a
good rib crowned board sounded better than a good compression crowned
board? You haven't, because none of us have ever said that or anything like
it, that I'm aware of. Since you've been shouting this premise down so
actively of late, I'm wondering where you got it.

>Come on... Either you take a stand or you
>dont.

Oh, I do, just not the conveniently and simplistically chopped up stand
you're trying to assign me.

Ron N