Steinways (was Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand)

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:41:22 +0200

Avery Todd wrote:

> I'll accept what you said. Sort of. ;-) Just one comment. I never said that
> Steinways can't be fantastic instruments. I only mean that too many times
> they don't live up to their potential. Because of factory, dealer prep (or
> lack of it), whatever. For the money, IMHO, they ought to be better "out of
> the box", so to speak! :-)

Thats one thing I've always liked about Yamahas. Pretty decent out of the box most
every time. My experience tho is that most manufacturers leave em pretty raw.
Irritating at times... but its good work when you can get it :)

> Avery
>
> >Just cant buy it. Sorry. That kind of dominance doenst result from PR...
> >especially considering the PR machine Yamaha has rolling... and not able
> >to put
> >a chink in Steinways dominance.  That an artist will spend a year looking for
> >an instrument that pleases him... is as ususal as daylight in Memphis Avery.
> >Thats what they love doing most.
>
> In the case mentioned, I don't think so. He basically drove Steinway
> crazy because he couldn't find an instrument that he was will to
> send to us. They finally offered him a new C & A instrument that was
> about to go out and he finally settled on that one. It even already
> had the moving rails on the side and the logo on the other side! And
> it still had to have a good bit of regulating and voicing work done
> after it arrived. It is a good instrument but not as "big" as the
> rebuilt one.

I dont doubt you here... finding an instrument that is going to live up to the
expectations one has in these cases can be a time consuming affair. Next time...
send him to Hamburg !! ... on the premise that he comes back with one he likes no
ifs ands or butts about it.