Steinways (was Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand)

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:22:38 -0500

I'll accept what you said. Sort of. ;-) Just one comment. I never said that
Steinways can't be fantastic instruments. I only mean that too many times
they don't live up to their potential. Because of factory, dealer prep (or
lack of it), whatever. For the money, IMHO, they ought to be better "out of
the box", so to speak! :-)

Avery

>Just cant buy it. Sorry. That kind of dominance doenst result from PR...
>especially considering the PR machine Yamaha has rolling... and not able
>to put
>a chink in Steinways dominance.  That an artist will spend a year looking for
>an instrument that pleases him... is as ususal as daylight in Memphis Avery.
>Thats what they love doing most.

In the case mentioned, I don't think so. He basically drove Steinway
crazy because he couldn't find an instrument that he was will to
send to us. They finally offered him a new C & A instrument that was
about to go out and he finally settled on that one. It even already
had the moving rails on the side and the logo on the other side! And
it still had to have a good bit of regulating and voicing work done
after it arrived. It is a good instrument but not as "big" as the
rebuilt one.

Avery