Steinways (was Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:54:42 -0700

on 9/26/03 1:41 PM, Richard Brekne at Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no wrote:

> Avery Todd wrote:
>
>> I'll accept what you said. Sort of. ;-) Just one comment. I never said that
>> Steinways can't be fantastic instruments. I only mean that too many times
>> they don't live up to their potential. Because of factory, dealer prep (or
>> lack of it), whatever. For the money, IMHO, they ought to be better "out of
>> the box", so to speak! :-)

Oh yeah....interesting subject....the reality of it is that many new
American Steinway grand pianos need more than even a great prep can give:
--less/more weight on hammers
--less/more, differently positioned lead in keys
--moving the capstan line and/or changing the angles of the
capstans(idealizing the key ratio)
--changing the action spread
--changing the length of the whippen heel to achieve "magic line" compliance
--in rare cases, changing the stack height.

That said, most Steinway dealers----tragically---don't even give these
pianos the minimum preparation. Even if the action weight distribution and
geometry is close on a new Steinway, they still need 2 full days (14-15
hrs.) of prep, including precision tuning and voicing;  string seating,
bending, and leveling, damper timing, key height change, and so many other
protocols that other manufacturers take care of in the factory----it's
embarassing, really.

> Thats one thing I've always liked about Yamahas. Pretty decent out of the box
> most every time.

No kidding.  What a fabulous company Yamaha is; what consistently high
quality they put into every step of their C, S, and CF series.  I am not an
employee of the company, nor have I been paid by them; but if some Yamaha
poobah  reads this and is inspired to cross my palm with silver, I'd blush,
but I'd take it.  <g>

If you ever wanta know, I have 4 little tricks I do with a Yamaha grand
action that put it into a different realm, IMHO.

>My experience tho is that most manufacturers leave em pretty raw.
> Irritating at times... but its good work when you can get it :)
Yes it is. Some of my favorite work:  taking a great piano out of the box
and helping it to sing, to please an artist.   Mmmmm.

>> Avery
>>
>>> Just cant buy it. Sorry. That kind of dominance doenst result from PR...
>>> especially considering the PR machine Yamaha has rolling... and not able
>>> to put
>>> a chink in Steinways dominance.  That an artist will spend a year looking
>>> for
>>> an instrument that pleases him... is as ususal as daylight in Memphis Avery.
>>> Thats what they love doing most.
There's something about an American Steinway that IS, grudgingly or not,
special and different .  When they get right thru various performance
enhancement wizardry, they can be the best of all worlds---much ballsier and
elementally darker & more complex than your normal, beautiful Hamburg
instrument.
That said, my 3rd or 4th favorite instrument in the world is a modern
Hamburg C.

>> In the case mentioned, I don't think so. He basically drove Steinway
>> crazy because he couldn't find an instrument that he was will to
>> send to us. They finally offered him a new C & A instrument that was
>> about to go out and he finally settled on that one. It even already
>> had the moving rails on the side and the logo on the other side! And
>> it still had to have a good bit of regulating and voicing work done
>> after it arrived. It is a good instrument but not as "big" as the
>> rebuilt one.
Hand-made, quirky pianos---each one is different. And some artists
are----shall we say---sonically and tonally subjective and eccentric.  Not
to mention capricious.

> I dont doubt you here... finding an instrument that is going to live up to the
> expectations one has in these cases can be a time consuming affair. Next
> time...
> send him to Hamburg !! ... on the premise that he comes back with one he likes
> no
> ifs ands or butts about it.

Hmmmm.....

>> Avery