Steinways (was Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand)

Fri, 26 Sep 2003 22:00:35 +0200

Grin..... ARGH d' argh argh argh yer swabble boddied bloaty !!.. Rolf.. I love
it..  a couple comments...intertweened below.

Avery Todd wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Since this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Baldwins anymore, I changed
> the subject line!
>
> >>If it did... then there is no way on this earth Steinway could possibly
> >>have survived. People buy them not because they are stupid, or duped, or
> >>are simply following tradition, or whatever....they buy them because they
> >>like them. And who the heck are we to tell them their ears are screwy
> >>because they dont seem to react negatively to a slightly shorter sustain,
> >>or what ever quality you wish to assign.
>
> It ain't necessarily so! :-)
>
> I disagree in WAY too many cases. They buy them because of the name.
> I'm talking about the "typical" home type owner. Not a professional
> pianist! And I wonder what the totals would be for each type? :-)

Ok... I buy this.. as far as it goes.. and I think the rest of my passage above
(not included in your quote) says as much.. But the brandname buying thing
cannnot, never did, impossible to think could, explain the dominance Steinway
has and has had for like ever, in concert market. Doesnt add up... but you're
right enough as far as that takes you.

> I once tuned for a concert and the tech people had come in to set up
> for the concert. We had a 'D' which wasn't really very good and a
> Mason & Hamlin CC (9') for the pianist to choose between. The M & H had
> been totally restored (except for the soundboard) and sounded and played
> GREAT!
>
> The techie walked by and looked at the names on the fallboard and said
> we'll use that one (meaning, of course, the Steinway). JUST because of
> the name!
>
> It didn't surprise me at all, it just "flabbergasted" me! :-) The pianist
> didn't
> even get a chance to pick.

Amazing aint it ? Course we all have those kinds of experiences. Like Keith
Jarrets 3 second chromatic from C4 to C8 to condemn 14 concert tunings in a
row, except mine... the 15th... in a european tour of 1984 or so.... What can I
say... people are also predjudiced... but then they are so much else as
well....

----------------

> >The qualities of sound have not been assigned by my wishes. They (both
> >good and bad) have been observed for many years by more people than just
> >myself. Selective memory has apparently neglected to retain anything
> >positive ever said along the way.
>
> Disagree again! Way too many times, the quality of the sound, sustain,
> etc., have absolutely nothing to do with it! As in the instance
> mentioned above!

Well... since those were Ron Nossamans words.. I'll let him deal with them.
P's and Q's Avery.. :):)

> >>Sorry... but thats reality.
> >
> >Not exactly. That's your version of reality leaving out all the details
> >and qualifiers that we've gone over with you repeatedly and in great
> >detail over the last few years. This was apparently a waste of time in
> >your case, since you don't now seem to have any idea what was discussed
> >and why, or what we collectively said.
> >
> >>Convince the world... and you win. So far... its still Steinway 95, the
> >>rest of the world 5. Pretty overwhelming.
>
> Well, I'll have to admit that they've done a pretty damn good job
> of convincing the world! But unfortunately, too much of it is because
> of the PR efforts and the quality many years ago. I like Steinways and
> we have 4 very good D's and some good B's here. But three of the D's
> have been partially rebuilt/restored by a very good rebuilder and the
> one new "type" D we have, it took a big name Steinway artist over a year
> to find one he was happy enough with to pick it out for us to go into
> our new building!

Just cant buy it. Sorry. That kind of dominance doenst result from PR...
especially considering the PR machine Yamaha has rolling... and not able to put
a chink in Steinways dominance.  That an artist will spend a year looking for
an instrument that pleases him... is as ususal as daylight in Memphis Avery.
Thats what they love doing most.