Steinways (was Re: compression ridges in New Baldwin grand)

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:42:17 -0500

Richard,

Since this has absolutely NOTHING to do with Baldwins anymore, I changed
the subject line!

>>If it did... then there is no way on this earth Steinway could possibly
>>have survived. People buy them not because they are stupid, or duped, or
>>are simply following tradition, or whatever....they buy them because they
>>like them. And who the heck are we to tell them their ears are screwy
>>because they dont seem to react negatively to a slightly shorter sustain,
>>or what ever quality you wish to assign.

It ain't necessarily so! :-)

I disagree in WAY too many cases. They buy them because of the name.
I'm talking about the "typical" home type owner. Not a professional
pianist! And I wonder what the totals would be for each type? :-)

I once tuned for a concert and the tech people had come in to set up
for the concert. We had a 'D' which wasn't really very good and a
Mason & Hamlin CC (9') for the pianist to choose between. The M & H had
been totally restored (except for the soundboard) and sounded and played
GREAT!

The techie walked by and looked at the names on the fallboard and said
we'll use that one (meaning, of course, the Steinway). JUST because of
the name!

It didn't surprise me at all, it just "flabbergasted" me! :-) The pianist
didn't
even get a chance to pick.

>The qualities of sound have not been assigned by my wishes. They (both
>good and bad) have been observed for many years by more people than just
>myself. Selective memory has apparently neglected to retain anything
>positive ever said along the way.

Disagree again! Way too many times, the quality of the sound, sustain,
etc., have absolutely nothing to do with it! As in the instance
mentioned above!

>>Sorry... but thats reality.
>
>Not exactly. That's your version of reality leaving out all the details
>and qualifiers that we've gone over with you repeatedly and in great
>detail over the last few years. This was apparently a waste of time in
>your case, since you don't now seem to have any idea what was discussed
>and why, or what we collectively said.
>
>>Convince the world... and you win. So far... its still Steinway 95, the
>>rest of the world 5. Pretty overwhelming.

Well, I'll have to admit that they've done a pretty damn good job
of convincing the world! But unfortunately, too much of it is because
of the PR efforts and the quality many years ago. I like Steinways and
we have 4 very good D's and some good B's here. But three of the D's
have been partially rebuilt/restored by a very good rebuilder and the
one new "type" D we have, it took a big name Steinway artist over a year
to find one he was happy enough with to pick it out for us to go into
our new building!

>>RicB

OK, flame suit on.

Avery