Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:32:28 -0700

My view is, to what benefit?  In order to achieve a high ratio with an
existing setup, you probably have to go to a shorter knuckle dimension,
though you could move the capstan back.  With a heavy hammer not only would
you increase wear and tear, but you would increase friction on the knuckle,
and to a greater degree if you shortened the knuckle dimension.  Shortening
the knuckle dimension would also increase flex on the shank slowing hammer
speed (not to mention key flex).  Since I've never found any tonal benefit
to very heavy hammers, I wonder why this would be desirable.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Perhaps