Heavy Hammers / High Ratio / Ric

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 23:58:23 -0400

At 1:32 PM -0700 9/24/03, David Love wrote:
>My view is, to what benefit?  <snip>Since I've never found any tonal benefit
>to very heavy hammers, I wonder why this would be desirable.

I'd guess Ric is being theoretical here. Imagine that the pianist's
continuum of key velocity (how fast he can push the parts) can be
divided into twenty increments, and if the hammer velocity is the
product of the key velocity and the action ratio, then with a higher
action ratio, there will be a greater spread between the slowest and
fastest hammer velocity and presumably a greater range of whatever
tone the hammer will produce (either quantity/volume, or
quality/color). Hence a greater range of expression for the pianist's
aforementioned key velocity.

Keep the matter hypothetical and you don't have to worry about action
saturation, but it still begs David's question: for a high action
ratio built for maximum amplification of key velocity, what is it
that a heavy hammer has to offer in this situation.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Can you check out this middle C?. It "whangs' - (or twangs?)
     Thanks so much, Ginger"
     ...........Service Request