Wapin (Re: String vibrations)

Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:42:12 +0200

Phillip Ford wrote:

> >  > What is this data that you're referring to?  I don't find anything on
> >>  the Wapin website.  Therefore, it's actually rather easy for me to
> >>  disregard it.
> >>  Phil Ford
>
> Perhaps Steinway didn't like the fact that they were claiming a
> simple modification could dramatically improve a stock Steinway.

I thought you said you'd never seen it ???

> I think I've seen the charts that you're talking about.  My
> experience of Wapin was from a convention some years back.  There was
> on display a gallery of rebuilt pianos.  One was a Brambach (or piano
> of similar quality) grand that had been Wapinized.  I don't know if
> it had any official connection with the Wapin people or just happened
> to be there.  I'm not sure that I could draw any conclusions from
> that piano.  It's sort of like saying you invented a new camshaft and
> here's a Pinto that we rebuilt with our new camshaft in it.  Isn't it
> the best Pinto you're ever seen?  Er, well, maybe - but so what?... snips

Grin... I just love these comparisons of yours. But arent we getting a bit off the
point... I dont think anyone was really making a whole lot of conclusions here..
This all started when I raised a questioning ponderment about whether there was
anything similiar about the Wapin bridge and the Stuart aggraffe system.

Of course there are going to be plenty of folks who immediatly will react
negatively to a piano that sounds distinctly different to the modern Steinway...
and all its variants under different names. Just put a Forte' on stage and see how
many groans you get. But I wasnt really opening up a discussion on what the basics
of acceptable piano sound are or arent.

The Steinway that Wapin changed had a before and after spectrum analysis I believe,
and if I remember correctly  the U of C took some pains to isolate the change... so
I see little reason to doubt the basic acoustic effects claimed by the Wapin. I
doubt seriously the kind of differences the comparitive spectrum analysis's showed
could ever show up in random pianos off the assembly line. I mean... if they did...
well the sound of these instruments would reflect that huge variance... and ...
well they dont in reality to begin with.. nor would that be particularilly good for
buisness me thinks.

As far as whether any of these devices constitutes <<an improvement>> or not... I
dont really get into that kind of value judgement... either a proceedure results in
sound many find pleasing... or it doesnt... I leave it to others to debate (grin...
endlessly it would seem)  whats <<best>> or<< better>> and whats not.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.