Stuart Piano

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 12:00:48 -0500

>The belly is huge with quite short ribs and a light soundboard.

Clarification?

>  I can't verify this, but I believe the crown is also quite low.

I haven't been able to find the reference, but I recall reading a Stuart
quote to the effect that there "is no crown - doesn't need one". I'd like
verification one way or another on this too, if anyone knows.

>  The whole design makes for a piano that delivers quite interesting
> sounds at low to medium volume, but I can't say I enjoyed the fortissimo
> and above. This confirmed what I had heard on recordings prior to seeing it.

The recording I have is of a piano that very obviously falls apart into
distortion at higher attack levels. I don't think it's the hammers blocking
from a too flexible action rail. That's a classic low soundboard impedance
killer octave sound to my ear, and extends through the entire top half of
the instrument.

>What I really enjoyed was the pianissimo playing and possibilities - it
>has four pedals Damper, sostenuto, una corda and half blow. The
>combination of half blow and una corda made for the most delicate and
>controlled softs I've ever experienced.

In the recording I have, the piano sounds quite nice at low levels.

>I also had the recent opportunity to do some servicing on one of Ron Overs
>early pianos...given the choice I'd take his home over the Stuart any day
>of the week! Just my humble opinion.

Mine too.

>Looking forward to participating more in the future
>
>Cheers
>Mark Bolsius

Thanks Mark, good to hear from you. I hope some day to get a first hand
look at one of Stuart's pianos myself.

Ron N