Stuart Piano

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 13:44:55 +1000

From: Mark Bolsius <markbolsius@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:39:11 +1000
To: <pianotech-request@ptg.org>
Subject: Re Stuart Piano

Hi all,

I've just returned to the pianotech list after several years away from
it....I don't know if I have the time yet to keep up...but here goes!

Re the Stuart, I had my first chance to look at and do a tiny bit of playing
on one a couple of weeks ago at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. They've
just taken delivery of a brand new one. Mr Stuart himself had only finished
the installation prep a few days before, so this little guy was as good as
it could be (without having any "playing in").

RicB your trip to Newcastle will be longer than you think...it's Newcastle
Australia where they are made! Not Newcastle England.

I know Ron O would have a few observations about it, but I know he has his
head down at the moment working on finishing the two pianos in his workshop.

It's certainly a very different kettle of fish if you are comparing with
Steinway. The sound is quite coloured and varies a lot from one section to
another. RicB Your comment about the octave F4 to F6 is quite accurate,
although I'd put it a little higher than that. That area gets very choked on
fortissimo playing. I suspect that the action rails are too flexible and the
distance between action standards too great causing the hammers to block in
the middle of the section.

The belly is huge with quite short ribs and a light soundboard. I can't
verify this, but I believe the crown is also quite low. I can't remember if
the riobs were fanned _ I don't think so, but I'll accept whatever someone
else who's seen might say. The hitch pins are adjustable but not like the
Baldwin pins, they are screw adjustable. The whole design makes for a piano
that delivers quite interesting sounds at low to medium volume, but I can't
say I enjoyed the fortissimo and above. This confirmed what I had heard on
recordings prior to seeing it.

The aggraffes are right the way through the piano. He uses Steel wrapped
bass strings which accounts for a different sound. the cross over is not
pleasant, and as I've already said there are several changes in tone and
envelope over the whole 8 octave range of the keyboard (that's right folks 8
octaves - F0 to F8!! Find an accuTuner or RCT to tune those last couple!)

What I really enjoyed was the pianissimo playing and possibilities - it has
four pedals Damper, sostenuto, una corda and half blow. The combination of
half blow and una corda made for the most delicate and controlled softs I've
ever experienced.

The other thing is the aesthetic - It's quite beautiful the cabinet is an
Australian Cedar (they also can be finished in birds-eye Huon pine, another
Australian wood from way down south in Tasmania (get your atlases out
everyone). The standard of finish is impeccable, even the backposts
underneath are as smooth as ...

Wayne Stuart, the creator, is aiming for something very different, and he's
certainly done that. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but he's selling a
few...I believe Rowan Atkinson the English comedian/actor has bought one.

I also had the recent opportunity to do some servicing on one of Ron Overs
early pianos...given the choice I'd take his home over the Stuart any day of
the week! Just my humble opinion.

Looking forward to participating more in the future

Cheers
Mark Bolsius
Canberra Australia

(Go on get that world atlas out and see where it is!!)