Stuart Piano

Sun, 21 Sep 2003 20:45:53 +0200

Mark Bolsius wrote:

> From: Mark Bolsius <markbolsius@optusnet.com.au>
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:39:11 +1000
> To: <pianotech-request@ptg.org>
> Subject: Re Stuart Piano
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've just returned to the pianotech list after several years away from
> it....I don't know if I have the time yet to keep up...but here goes!
>
> Re the Stuart, I had my first chance to look at and do a tiny bit of
> playing on one a couple of weeks ago at the Sydney Conservatorium of
> Music. They've just taken delivery of a brand new one. Mr Stuart
> himself had only finished the installation prep a few days before, so
> this little guy was as good as it could be (without having any
> "playing in").
>
> RicB your trip to Newcastle will be longer than you think...it's
> Newcastle Australia where they are made! Not Newcastle England.

Yeah..grin.. I got that one straightened out.. but there IS one on
Cardiff. So no real problem.

> I know Ron O would have a few observations about it, but I know he has
> his head down at the moment working on finishing the two pianos in his
> workshop.
>
> It's certainly a very different kettle of fish if you are comparing
> with Steinway. The sound is quite coloured and varies a lot from one
> section to another. RicB Your comment about the octave F4 to F6 is
> quite accurate, although I'd put it a little higher than that. That
> area gets very choked on fortissimo playing. I suspect that the action
> rails are too flexible and the distance between action standards too
> great causing the hammers to block in the middle of the section.

Interesting... my commment was more along the lines of guessing about
how the bridge and SB were performing.... All that sustain has to have a
down side somewhere... and its not exactly a-typical that extra sustain
yeilds a <<thinning out>> of the sound picture perhaps most easily
noticble in that range.... yes ?

> The belly is huge with quite short ribs and a light soundboard. I
> can't verify this, but I believe the crown is also quite low. I can't
> remember if the riobs were fanned _ I don't think so, but I'll accept
> whatever someone else who's seen might say. The hitch pins are
> adjustable but not like the Baldwin pins, they are screw adjustable.
> The whole design makes for a piano that delivers quite interesting
> sounds at low to medium volume, but I can't say I enjoyed the
> fortissimo and above. This confirmed what I had heard on recordings
> prior to seeing it.

Hmm... I'll pay more attention to high power playing on these CD's with
the above comments in mind.

> The aggraffes are right the way through the piano. He uses Steel
> wrapped bass strings which accounts for a different sound. the cross
> over is not pleasant, and as I've already said there are several
> changes in tone and envelope over the whole 8 octave range of the
> keyboard (that's right folks 8 octaves - F0 to F8!! Find an accuTuner
> or RCT to tune those last couple!)
>
> What I really enjoyed was the pianissimo playing and possibilities -
> it has four pedals Damper, sostenuto, una corda and half blow. The
> combination of half blow and una corda made for the most delicate and
> controlled softs I've ever experienced.

ditto on that as well...

> The other thing is the aesthetic - It's quite beautiful the cabinet is
> an Australian Cedar (they also can be finished in birds-eye Huon pine,
> another Australian wood from way down south in Tasmania (get your
> atlases out everyone). The standard of finish is impeccable, even the
> backposts underneath are as smooth as ...
>
> Wayne Stuart, the creator, is aiming for something very different, and
> he's certainly done that. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but he's
> selling a few...I believe Rowan Atkinson the English comedian/actor
> has bought one.

Yes, its a different puppy allright... and I'm just itching to see one
up close and personal. I like the fact that somebody is really breaking
the mold big time. I like the mold too... but variety is the spice of
life they say eh ?

> I also had the recent opportunity to do some servicing on one of Ron
> Overs early pianos...given the choice I'd take his home over the
> Stuart any day of the week! Just my humble opinion.

Also, and interesting comment... why ?? The Overs I heard in Reno was
nice enough... very nice actually.. but nothing really all that
suprising about its sound.... not that that is a criticism mind you...
it was really very pleasing for sure.

> Looking forward to participating more in the future
>
> Cheers
> Mark Bolsius
> Canberra Australia
>
> (Go on get that world atlas out and see where it is!!)

Nice to see your name up again Mark

Cheers
RicB

--