Glue cleanup on ribs

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:47:48 EDT

       Jon
   Interesting ideas. I've noticed that the cold hide glue tends to be more
slippery than the tightbond. Its also probably more slippery than Hot hide
because the Hot gels faster. Also the tight bond gets stickier right away which
may eliminate this problem. I'm intrigued by the hot glue idea but the timing
and speed of application must be done quick with out retarders, Right?
     I May try pressing them next time with nothing or maybe just one pin in
the middle of the longest rib. Or perhaps some sand.  Good suggestions. What
do you tooth the ribs  with some sort of wheel with serrations on it?
   Thanks--Dale

>    Also on a different subject ,on occasion we've had the ribs scoot
> sideways as we apply pressure (this happened with go bars to)  so we
> install short center pins into the ribs glue surface to keep them from
> skidding sideways when the pressures turned up.
>    Dale Erwin
>    Erwins Piano Restoration

Dale,

When I first got started with soundboard building I made some adjustable
spacers to help keep the ribs straight. My friend from Steinway
suggested this since this is how it is done at the factory with the air
presses. In the middle of the board they place spacer block to keep the
ribs from bowing. I used these on my first couple of boards but found
that they are just not needed. I have built must all of my board without
this aid with no problem what so ever. I tooth the upper surfaces of the
ribs and this seems to help keep them from slipping.

With your air press you may need to do something about this but the
spacers will get in the way of cleaning the glue off and toothing may
not do enough. I have used a few tricks with other woodworking projects
to keep things from slipping. Small brads can be used or you can apply
some sand to the middle of the rib. Sprinkle a few grains on after you
brush on the glue. I read in some old book about putting sand into hot
hide glue to do this but I have never done this.

John Hartman RPT