Glue cleanup on ribs

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 21 Sep 2003 11:46:39 -0400

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
>        Jon
>    Interesting ideas. I've noticed that the cold hide glue tends to be
> more slippery than the tightbond. Its also probably more slippery than
> Hot hide because the Hot gels faster. Also the tight bond gets stickier
> right away which may eliminate this problem. I'm intrigued by the hot
> glue idea but the timing and speed of application must be done quick
> with out retarders, Right?
>      I May try pressing them next time with nothing or maybe just one
> pin in the middle of the longest rib. Or perhaps some sand.  Good
> suggestions. What do you tooth the ribs  with some sort of wheel with
> serrations on it?
>    Thanks--Dale

Dale,

With gluing one rib at a time there is no problem using hot hide glue.
You need to mix the glue and water in the correct proportion, add 15%
urea and heat the rib with a heat gun.

You should give the toothing a try. Here are two photos of toothing
planes. I use the Ley-Neilson for the ribs.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979