How do you get them to shut the #%$@ up?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:03:44 -0400

Mark,

I try to nip the problem in the bud.  Several days before the
appointment I send out an appointment reminder card.  In addition to the
appointment time, it says three things, and here they are:  "A quiet
atmosphere will help me do the best job for you.  It will also be
helpful if all items are removed from the piano before I arrive.  Please
call attention to any additional problems so they can be attended to."

Result:  When I arrive, nearly always everything is off the piano.
Since they want the best job, they stay quiet, sometimes to the extent
of whispering to each other.  There are exceptions, of course.  I
usually ask if there is anything else that needs attention in spite of
my printed note.

If you don't like that idea, you might just say something when you
arrive.  If it's quiet, express appreciation that it will help you do
good work.  If it's not quiet say something that conveys how quietness
will benefit them, something like, "I'd really like to give you an
excellent tuning, but because I have to listen so closely I'll need to
have it quiet to do that.  Do you suppose you could [turn the TV low
enough so I can't hear it, find a way to keep the dog from barking as
much, do the vacuuming after I'm finished, move your conversation to
another room," etc.]?

But work at avoiding any detectable indication of irritation.  You get
more referrals if you're Mr. Nice Guy.  I hope this helps.

Regards,
Clyde