How do you get them to shut the #%$@ up?

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:00:38 -0400

I've been doing this for like 25 years, and I still haven't figured out
how to deal with customers who insist on using the piano tuning
appointment as the ideal time to catch up on their vacuuming, carpentry,
chainsawing, or to finish watching that copy of "Armageddon" on surround
sound DVD. Or rather the only way that occurs to me once the noise has
begun wouldn't lend itself to much in the way of repeat business. No
matter how diplomatic I try and be in requesting that they keep it down,
I'm afraid that I can't hide the fact that I'm already annoyed. I've
thought about possible solutions like painting in large block letters on
my tool box: "QUIET - TUNER AT WORK!", but given the high rate of
illiteracy I have my doubts whether that would be effective. Does
anybody have any helpful ideas?

- Mark