Ca pin block repair-broken tuning pin

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:54:24 -0700

At 06:26 PM 9/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>And how about the world of ETD's? most of 'em come from the US and we have
>a hard time selling them here because people are so .....  old
>fashioned  !!=@#$%^&^)@!!

Dag, OOR!

Old-fashioned --- heck, it works for me! At least with tuning.

But CA glue, with and without white glue, and a few drops of vodka for
voicing ... I guess that's innovative, nowadays, though I think that the
alcohol voicing is an old technique being rediscovered.

By the way, a customer from Denmark has an old Zimmerman upright -- lots of
very loose pins. I've used CA glue on almost a dozen, not much on each
except for two really bad ones, where I took the string off the pin, turned
it out about half-way, soaked it well with CA (piano was tilted) and turned
it back in. For one I took the pin completely out and swabbed the hole with
CA, then soaked the pin with it, and turned it back in. That pin was a
little bit jumpy, while the others were about right. Most of the rest only
got a few drops. I don't have to constantly go back and retune bad notes
anymore.

Susan