Ca pin block repair-broken tuning pin

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:22:48 +0200

On maandag, sep 15, 2003, at 18:54 Europe/Amsterdam, Susan Kline wrote:

> At 06:26 PM 9/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>> And how about the world of ETD's? most of 'em come from the US and we
>> have a hard time selling them here because people are so .....  old
>> fashioned  !!=@#$%^&^)@!!
>
> Dag, OOR!

How-de-doody Sue,

> Old-fashioned --- heck, it works for me! At least with tuning.

Hey! I said "here" ok?  (; >))

I know you're one of those old goodies. I am just bone tired of tuning
and my ETD is not only responsible for a heck of a tuning but also for
preserving my energy AND my positive way of looking at the world. Tell
that to an old German tuner...geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz or a French one
for that matter......grrrrrrrrrrrrr
zut alors!

> But CA glue, with and without white glue, and a few drops of vodka for
> voicing ... I guess that's innovative, nowadays, though I think that
> the alcohol voicing is an old technique being rediscovered.

I would have to be in America and buy American style hammers, and then
learn 'wet voicing'.....
That too is just not done here, but that is understandable : all
European hammers are hard and firm from the beginning and we are
required to give them a cushion during first voicing.

> By the way, a customer from Denmark has an old Zimmerman upright --
> lots of very loose pins. I've used CA glue on almost a dozen, not much
> on each except for two really bad ones, where I took the string off
> the pin, turned it out about half-way, soaked it well with CA (piano
> was tilted) and turned it back in. For one I took the pin completely
> out and swabbed the hole with CA, then soaked the pin with it, and
> turned it back in. That pin was a little bit jumpy, while the others
> were about right. Most of the rest only got a few drops. I don't have
> to constantly go back and retune bad notes anymore.

I believe it immediately! I think most of them old pianas here either
end up on the garbage pile or get the royal re-pinning
treatment...maybe more so here than there? I have absolutely not one
customer with loose tuning pins and the last one with a totally rotten
pin block bought a gorgeous old Bechstein after I told them that "this
is it".....

I always thought that Americans had more money to spend??? (the land of
milk and honey?)

vrie groe

OOR