Tormek the terminator

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:18:08 EDT

In a message dated 9/10/2003 8:51:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

>  Tormek sharpening sytems has an awesome wet stone setup that is a dream
> come true. My friend Bob Davis got one and demo'd  it at a chapter meeting and
> I was sold.[snip]
>   When the edge gets a little dull about one minute on the 2.5 inch wet
> wheel will true the edge at the same angle each time.

Bob here. Yes, we do like ours, very much. I want to point out that when Dale
says 2.5" he means the width. The diameter is 10", which produces a very
shallow, usable hollow grind.. We bought the whole banana, with all the jigs and
whistles. The jigs are guides which make it easy to repeat setups. The other
side of the machine has a leather-covered wheel of about 9 inches, to which one
can apply a paste containing 6000-grit abrasive for burr removal and a fine
polish.

It's great for plane blades, standard chisels, and lathe tools. Japanese
chisels are a little harder to fit in the standard fixtures, but I found a way wi
th one of the add-ons, which also make it possible to do jointer and planer
knives, and make easy work of compound grinds like a fingernail grind on a
turning gouge. Other jigs help with axes, long knives, and scissors.

The whole package costs about $800; the basic unit about half that. That's a
lot, and I don't regret it. We use edge tools all day long in the shop, and I
figure it'll pay out in a couple of years, maybe less.

Difficulties so far: the jigs are a little thick to do narrow knives. The
90-rpm speed keeps edges cool and doesn't sling water, but it's mighty slow on my
Sorby high-speed steel lathe tools.

Anybody else using one of these?

Bob Davis