Money's no object

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:19:01 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 10, 2003 1:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Money's no object

   =20
  Be advised :=20
  Big boomy sound, especially in the bass. Very heavy action which =
employs very strong whippen assist springs to counterbalance heavy =
hammers. Low on key leads, often significant of backweight. Weigh off =
appears to be done with whippen assist springs attached and at full =
strength. They also use graphite and some kind of clear lubricant in =
action centers with varied results. Interestingly enough, I hear =
comments about these actions having  << the right kind of heaviness >> =
from several pianists.=20

I've only looked at a couple of the recently -- in a store -- but have =
had no opportunity to look at the action setup. A brief excursion up and =
down the keyboard didn't seem all that heavy, however. I'll try to look =
closer the next time I see one.=20

The 7-footer had a very nicely balance sound. Very clean bass, nearly =
invisible crossover and very nice treble. No discernable killer octave. =
No nasties. All of this could have been the result of good in-store =
voicing and prep, of course. Not quite as warm and dynamic as I'd like, =
but better than many other German pianos I've looked at. As to how this =
will all age is another question.=20

The graphite in the action centers is a Renner feature not unique to =
Forster. I expect if they are using some additional lubricant it is an =
attempt to counter the graphite.=20

Del