Steinway M

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sun, 07 Sep 2003 22:02:03 -0700

[link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] > we have been > failing to meet the challenge of developing the craft and aesthetic > understanding that is vital to getting the most out of the many fine > pianos we technicians are likely to come across in our careers. If we > would just do this many of the these engineering issues will fade into > the background. If there is an "endemic problem" I think it is with > putting science before art and craft. Bravo, bravo, bravo. Especially the last sentence. The art and craft of making a well-restored piano sing by fine regulation, voicing and tuning is a huge, and I mean HUGE component in the player's satisfaction. Yes, all the scientific, geometric, and logical steps have to be taken properly....with the the craft and loving knowledge that comes from long experience. Then the piano must be brought from a raw state to a singing state by the intuitive, musical skills of the piano technician. No amount of re-engineering or rescaling or redesign can compensate for the lack of a world-class "finish": fine, precise, and focussed regulation, voicing, and especially, tuning. Norman Neblett once told me something long ago that I've always remembered: success in this business means making a major positive difference in the instrument in a relatively small amount of time. The biggest difference I can make is a solid, precise, deeply musical equal temperament tuning. But that's just me.......... Flame suit on. David Andersen