Steinway M

Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:09:15 +0200

John Hartman wrote:

> But Ron, I am making waves! Just that my waves say that we have been
> failing to meet the challenge of developing the craft and aesthetic
> understanding that is vital to getting the most out of the many fine
> pianos we technicians are likely to come across in our careers. If we
> would just do this many of the these engineering issues will fade into
> the background. If there is an "endemic problem" I think it is with
> putting science before art and craft.

Here Here !!... And I might add the sometimes near total disregard for plain
old fashioned empiricism. Its fine and dandy to push numbers around, adding
or subtracting this or that known quantity to form this or that mathematical
maodel of some or another system... but loosing track of what is actually out
there... insisting that real life pianos conform to some theoritical idea of
a piano... or dismissing it as worthless in some or another fashion... is
just ... well it doesnt add up :)

> Many of us are frustrated by how hard this work is and how long it takes
> to  master. We dream about pianos that will be so design as to emerge
> from the factory  without the many faults that plague us now. Pianos
> that will never disappoint us or our clients and will never challenge
> our skills. There will not be a need to know how to suppress false beats
> or expand the dynamic range. They probably would not need voicing or
> regular tuning either. Pianos that anyone can build, anyone can tune and
> anyone can repair and rebuild.
>
> Well Ron that's not going to happen for me, I live in the real world!
>
> John Hartman RPT

I'm all for developing new ideas and new sounds, and new actions, and the
rest of it. I just fail to see what such admirable endeavour has to do with
all the wild condemnations of other building techniques and philosophies.
Ofte times it seems to me that many of these same advocates who decry the
stiffled state of development in our industry would simply replace that with
yet another such ideology. One way or the other... it all comes out as...."
there's two ways of doing things... My way... or the wrong way".... or so it
sometimes would appear.

> John Hartman Pianos

Whats wrong with a little positivism in all this anyways ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.