Steinway M

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:43:48 -0400

Overs Pianos wrote:

> What about the scale design John? I have no doubt that you have the
> skills necessary to make an M into something that it might not have
> been, but you will still be stuck with a scale which is ordinary. No
> small piano should cross at Bfl26/B27, but most do.

Well Ron the M's scale is just not a problem for me or my clients. Yes I
could tell my clients there is a theoretical problem with the "cross at
Bfl26/B27". That would get some strange looks. But even the fine
musicians among them would not swallow this. Neither can I. If this is
an ordinary scale than I say let there be more of them. I know there is
room for improvement with any piano design but I have just not seen any
examples on the market that beat this little gem. I have seen many new
products with new improved scales and other features like Faziolie,
Walter and the latest products from Europe but none surpasses this
design for basic musical quality in such a small package. It projects
without being overbearing, perfect for professional practice and home
music making. Transparent transitions between register breaks are easily
attainable. It is a simple and elegant design. If you do things right
you can get tremendous dynamic range, much more than I usually find with
larger grands I have seen in showrooms.

> This endemic problem of not making waves is killing the potential that
> we have to move forward in our industry. I find it frustrating when I
> hear comments from talented people who seem to be resistant to the idea
> of progress unless it comes from one of the hallowed manufacturers.

But Ron, I am making waves! Just that my waves say that we have been
failing to meet the challenge of developing the craft and aesthetic
understanding that is vital to getting the most out of the many fine
pianos we technicians are likely to come across in our careers. If we
would just do this many of the these engineering issues will fade into
the background. If there is an "endemic problem" I think it is with
putting science before art and craft.

Many of us are frustrated by how hard this work is and how long it takes
to  master. We dream about pianos that will be so design as to emerge
from the factory  without the many faults that plague us now. Pianos
that will never disappoint us or our clients and will never challenge
our skills. There will not be a need to know how to suppress false beats
or expand the dynamic range. They probably would not need voicing or
regular tuning either. Pianos that anyone can build, anyone can tune and
anyone can repair and rebuild.

Well Ron that's not going to happen for me, I live in the real world!

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979