of spline and catenary

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:14:48 -0500

>If the end support is not freely pivoting, as in a piano string, the
>formula is different.  If the load is not a single centered load, as in a
>piano string, the formula is different.

Yea, I've got all the beam deflection formulas and arc segment stuff I need
already worked out. I was wondering if anyone knew what the curve described
by the  free end center loaded beam was without my having to try and figure
out how to generate the catenary and parabola and compare them point for
point along the curves.

>Definitely not a catenary, but by eye they would be pretty hard to
>distinguish.

That's why I asked. By eye, it looks pretty close to me.

>What's up?
>
>Mike

Education.

Ron N