of spline and catenary

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:03:32 -0500

Ron,

If by "end supported" you mean freely pivoting supports, the beam
deflection formula is

y=-(F/48EI)(3lx^2-4x^3)

where F=center load, E=Young's modulus, I=moment of inertia, l=length of
beam, x=distance from the end to the point where deflection is measured.

If the end support is not freely pivoting, as in a piano string, the
formula is different.  If the load is not a single centered load, as in a
piano string, the formula is different.

Definitely not a catenary, but by eye they would be pretty hard to
distinguish.  What's up?

Mike