Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad

cswearingen@daigger.com cswearingen@daigger.com
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:31:54 -0500

When I first started learning to tune pianos, I was fortunate enough to
practice on a brand new Yamaha U1.  The first tuning I did for money was a
Winter spinet and I was shocked.  I kept checking my tuning over and over
and couldn't figure out why the piano sounded so awful.  It was my first
lesson in how a piano can be in pitch and in poor tone at the same time.

It's somewhat ironic that most of the pianos a brand new tuner will see are
small spinets are aren't that well taken care of.  I find these spinets
difficult to tune by ear (I use a Verituner) since, in a lot of cases, the
beats are difficult to hear and the false beats in the high treble just add
to the confusion (and forget about the low bass).  A nice piano that is
well taken care of is such a pleasure to tune.

I think I spend way too much time trying to get these little spinets to
sound good but I'm never satisfied.  I always leave wishing I could have
done better. I never feel this way after tuning larger well-mantained
instruments.

Corte Swearingen
Chicago

                      "Farrell"
                      <mfarrel2@tampaba        To:       "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
                      y.rr.com>                cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Some Days are Grand, Some are Bad
                      pianotech-bounces
                      @ptg.org

                      09/05/2003 04:50
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      Pianotech

No, I have not run across a good Winter spinet - but if I owned a Humvee or
a semi tractor, I would keep my eye open for one! I imagine the sound might
rival that of one landing in a Wally-World parking lot after being launched
from a trebuchet!

The "bad" is a noun here, and the "Winter" is the adjective.

I've seemingly had some luck as of late with a method of communicating that
their little old spinet may make for a poorly performing piano. I use this
when there are children taking lessons and practicing on the spinet. I tell
mom/dad that when the child gets to a second or third year level that the
teacher is usually instructing them on how to control the piano action for
soft and loud play. Most spinets (and consoles) will put limitations on
their progress. At some point the child will come home from a lesson and
say that "I can play it on the teacher's piano, but I can't do it on our
piano." That seems to sometimes get the point across.

Terry Farrell