too-thick keytops

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:22:17 -0500

Listers:

Someone asked, a few months ago, do I need to bother removing wood from the
top of the keys before gluing on the thick plastic keytops?  Here is the
answer, and a question about how to fix the problem.

Old upright with new hammers and new keytops, but was way out of
regulation.   Had to put thin punchings under the whites and thick under
the blacks in order to keep blacks from burying when played.  Problem:
whites are stopped by the front rail punchings under the blacks, so I can't
get proper dip on the whites.  I've brought the keys home, planning to
remove 1/16 or so from the bottoms of the whites in line with the black
front rail punchings.  Knowing that my first thoughts usually run to "brute
force" solutions", I'm asking if there is a simpler / more elegant / less
intrusive way to fix the problem??

thanks,

Mike

Michael Spalding