Function of the rim

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 15:20:58 EDT

Dave asks:
<<

Are there any other obvious clinkers in that test? >>

Hmm.  when I took it, I missed the question "Why is quartersawn wood used in
soundboards?"
    The "correct" answer was "  to increase stability. I don't think that is
why quarter sawn wood is used, at all.
    I answered,  "for improved acoustical response".  Quarter sawn wood IS
more stable, but that isn't a consideration for violin makers, or luthiers, or
other musical instruments that use it.  It transmits sound more efficiently!
  I suggested that they change that answer.  And also, there was a flange
papering question that didn't take into account the Steinway flanges when it
asked which direction a flange would move when papered in a particular way.
   Time for a review!
REgards,
Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/