Function of the rim

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:43:29 -0400

A440A@aol.com wrote:
> Dave asks:
> <<
>
> Are there any other obvious clinkers in that test? >>
>
> Hmm.  when I took it, I missed the question "Why is quartersawn wood used in
> soundboards?"
>     The "correct" answer was "  to increase stability. I don't think that is
> why quarter sawn wood is used, at all.

I can see your point this is a bit misleading. But radial cut spruce is
about twice as stable as tangential sawn spruce in relation to changes
in humidity. You would clearly have a lot more problems with tuning
stability and considerably more damage from compression set if you used
flat sawn spruce. This doesn't mean there are not other considerations
for the use of quarter sawn wood in soundboards, such as better tone
(not sure) or easier to plane (for sure).

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979