short treble

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:11:43 +0100

Re: short trebleThanks, Ron, for those interesting comments.  I think I =
am going for a new board.  Never done this, so I'll look for a shop used =
to do this kind of job.

Regards,

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Overs Pianos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 1:52 PM
  Subject: Re: short treble

  At 10:22 AM +0100 31/10/03, St=E9phane Collin wrote:

    Well, even when simply plucking the trebble strings, I hear it is =
shorter than what I would call normal.  But the sound is nice, apart =
from short.

  If the tone is short it could be due in part to loose bridge pins, =
dirt in the agraffe holes (which is acting like a damper). But it would =
certainly be worth checking the glue joint between the sound board panel =
and the inner rim and belly rail, and the bridge and panel.

      And that varnish on the bridge seems to be the only unusual thing. =
 I thought that the elasticity of the varnish on the bridge could maybe =
dampen the high frequencies.

  If the finish is contacting the speaking length in front of the bridge =
pins, this could also be a cause of short tone. It is not uncommon to =
find instruments where a technician has 'bedded the strings' so =
effectively that they are embedded in the bridge cap. This will cause =
the string termination to be bourne by the bridge notching in front of =
the pin.

    Hammers are quite light (4.3 g for the highest trebble, 6.0 g for =
note n=B060), and new shanks are already tapered in the last section.

  Hammers are unlikely to be the problem with regard to sustain. But the =
sound board might well have deteriorated. Check it for curve with a =
thread underneath. Many of the 1920's instruments I've inspected are due =
for a new board.

  Ron O.
--=20
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY