short trebble

Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:35:42 -0800

A very recent experience suggests that the bridge is only as good as the soundboard that it is attached to.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

----- Original Message -----
From: Stéphane Collin
To: Pianotech
Sent: 10/30/2003 6:52:27 PM
Subject: short trebble

Hi all !

Marvellous Bechstein model E (2m75) from 1928.
Fantastic action, but one problem : the trebble notes are VERY short (no sustain).  I know that trebble sustain is not the best thing in a Bechstein, but here it is obviously dramatic.  The piano has been restored 10 years ago, and the bridge apparently recapped.  The restorers have put varnish on the whole bridge.  Does anyone know if that varnish could be the cause of no sustain in trebble ?  I am considering to recap the bridge (though apart from the varnish, it looks kind of perfect), and would like to know your expert advice before attempting this.
thanks

Stéphane Collin (Bruxelles, Belgium)
"Time has no respect for what you do without it"