short treble

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:52:44 +1100

At 10:22 AM +0100 31/10/03, St=E9phane Collin wrote:

>Well, even when simply plucking the trebble=20
>strings, I hear it is shorter than what I would=20
>call normal.  But the sound is nice, apart from=20
>short.

If the tone is short it could be due in part to=20
loose bridge pins, dirt in the agraffe holes=20
(which is acting like a damper). But it would=20
certainly be worth checking the glue joint=20
between the sound board panel and the inner rim=20
and belly rail, and the bridge and panel.

>   And that varnish on the bridge seems to be the=20
>only unusual thing.  I thought that the=20
>elasticity of the varnish on the bridge could=20
>maybe dampen the high frequencies.

If the finish is contacting the speaking length=20
in front of the bridge pins, this could also be a=20
cause of short tone. It is not uncommon to find=20
instruments where a technician has 'bedded the=20
strings' so effectively that they are embedded in=20
the bridge cap. This will cause the string=20
termination to be bourne by the bridge notching=20
in front of the pin.

>Hammers are quite light (4.3 g for the highest=20
>trebble, 6.0 g for note n=B060), and new shanks=20
>are already tapered in the last section.

Hammers are unlikely to be the problem with=20
regard to sustain. But the sound board might well=20
have deteriorated. Check it for curve with a=20
thread underneath. Many of the 1920's instruments=20
I've inspected are due for a new board.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY