Make a soundboard--Measurements

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:34:46 -0500

How do you "block" these hoses underneath the soundboard?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Crashvalve@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 8:58 AM
  Subject: Re: Make a soundboard--Measurements

  In a message dated 10/26/03 8:35:54 AM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com =
writes:

    Hello Glenn. Would you be willing to post a description of the air =
actuator again. I don't recall seeing any such thing (I've caught a few =
legitimate emails that were filtered out by my spam filter - I've even =
seen a few of my own get filtered out!). I would sure appreciate any =
such info. Always looking for a way to minimize damage to a soundboard =
during removal.

    =20

    Terry Farrell

  Sure, glad to, and being  a newbie to the list I haven't thought to =
keep copies. Basically a firestone actuator is a length of reinforced =
hose about 3-4 inches wide when flat, 3 foot long, with an NPT thread =
tap and metal clip bars on each end. Old firehose is thought unsuitable =
for this pressure BTW.
  I block three of these under the board at spine, belly, and back curve =
and connect them in series to a SENSITIVE regulator. The usual air tool =
reg. is not fine control enough, diaphragm should be 2 inch or more. =
Once set I air up and start another job, jiggering the air up a slow =
notch at a time as I pass by the piano. eventually the board pops out. I =
really like machine/methods that work while I'm doing something else. If =
you do some cutting on the end clips. the profile is 1-1/14 inch and =
will slip in the tightest spaces between rib and brace. I'm a longtime =
veteran of the industrial auction circuit in Michigan, and lots of =
automotive plant OEM stuff comes my way, whence these actuators. If I =
was building one the hose would be easy, not so the tap. One of these =
blowing out or up could be VERY dangerous to piano and technician alike. =
Hope this helps. BTW firestone also makes an air spring (basically a =
tire looking like an elephants trunk) and I have seen these incorrectly =
referred to as actuators. Accept no substitutes.
  Glenn C.