Make a soundboard--Measurements

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:58:03 EST

In a message dated 10/26/03 8:35:54 AM, mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

>=20
> Hello Glenn. Would you be willing to post a description of the air actuato=
r=20
> again. I don't recall seeing any such thing (I've caught a few legitimate=20
> emails that were filtered out by my spam filter - I've even seen a few of=20=
my own=20
> get filtered out!). I would sure appreciate any such info. Always looking=20
> for a way to minimize damage to a soundboard during removal.
>=20
>  =A0
>=20
>  Terry Farrell
>=20
>=20

Sure, glad to, and being   a newbie to the list I haven't thought to keep=20
copies. Basically a firestone actuator is a length of reinforced hose about=20=
3-4=20
inches wide when flat, 3 foot long, with an NPT thread tap and metal clip ba=
rs=20
on each end. Old firehose is thought unsuitable for this pressure BTW.
I block three of these under the board at spine, belly, and back curve and=20
connect them in series to a SENSITIVE regulator. The usual air tool reg. is=20=
not=20
fine control enough, diaphragm should be 2 inch or more. Once set I air up a=
nd=20
start another job, jiggering the air up a slow notch at a time as I pass by=20
the piano. eventually the board pops out. I really like machine/methods that=
=20
work while I'm doing something else. If you do some cutting on the end clips=
.=20
the profile is 1-1/14 inch and will slip in the tightest spaces between rib=20=
and=20
brace. I'm a longtime veteran of the industrial auction circuit in Michigan,=
=20
and lots of automotive plant OEM stuff comes my way, whence these actuators.=
 If=20
I was building one the hose would be easy, not so the tap. One of these=20
blowing out or up could be VERY dangerous to piano and technician alike. Hop=
e this=20
helps. BTW firestone also makes an air spring (basically a tire looking like=
=20
an elephants trunk) and I have seen these incorrectly referred to as actuato=
rs.=20
Accept no substitutes.
Glenn C.