Reading a Board geometry

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sat, 4 Oct 2003 21:15:29 EDT

You're right, it was a disorganized post. I'm a mich. tech. new to this
block, was craftsman rated back in 1972. Consider this, if you had an EIGHT foot
Starrett straightedge, (machine builders use these for .001 precision) where
would you place it over the board to do measurements ? Right over the long axis
of the long bridge ? Would three placements in a triangle give a complete
enough picture ? Most precise bearing gauges use a bubble level to establish that
perfect plane in space, would a straightedge be as good ? I tooled up a little
sled with a dial gauge to ride the straightedge, but how to develop the total
picture from the raw data ?
By the way I thought surely a cool name like crashvalve would be already
taken, but nobody was as odd as me.
I enjoy this forum immensly, the information is post-graduate level   and i'm
learning. My weak point is communication (ask my tuning customers) but I am
good at machining, and recommend learning same to any piano technician, if you
want your dream tool you can just run it up.