Reading a Board

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 04 Oct 2003 09:05:11 -0400

Bill Ballard wrote:
I have a 110 -year-old B with a 35 year old board (NY: Camilleiri?
> A&C?), with whose voicing I've hit the "wall".

I have seen more than enough of these to tell you that this soundbaord
was built with minimum to no crown. I went into one of these shops and
observed boards in the works with virtually no crown. This was in the
summer with at least 70% humidity and the crown was about 1/8" along the
longest rib. They had no means to control the moisture content of the
panels; they were just staked up in a corner of the shop. This seems to
be the norm for these Kmart level shops. The experience of "hitting the
wall" is one of the reasons why I got into making my own boards. The
solution it to replace the board with one that at least has some
meaningful crown.  There are lots of other things wrong as well but this
is what you're sensing when you hit the wall.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979