V-cap update

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:03:01 -0700

Dave, look in the archives with Virtual Capstan as the thread header. It =
started on 6/19. I still have pretty much the whole thread as it's a =
long one and I haven't sorted through it yet to see what I want to save. =

Keith Roberts
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 8:43 AM
  Subject: Re: V-cap update

  Hi Ric,=20

  Back in pre-convention days when I was getting 8,042,957 messages a =
day, I admit to not having read each and every e-mail in the v-cap =
thread, so I probably missed some key bits of information.  I aplogize =
in advance for asking questions you've probably answered more than once. =

  Where are you doing this experiment(s)?=20

  What kind of piano/action are you using?=20

  Thanks,=20

  Dave Stahl=20

  In a message dated 7/5/03 3:29:23 AM Pacific Daylight Time, =
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:=20

    First... you want to buy a few small neodym magnets... you'll be =
amazed at the difference in power... little bitty things can push 50 =
grams no problem at 5 mm..... a neodym 40 mm across and 10 mm thick can =
lift 50 kilos.... Anyways... as to your question. Epoxy or CA glue. They =
recommend CA. For the whippens I countersunk the magnets and glued them. =
For the keys I am going to sink them (and glue) in a small letoff button =
that has a drop screw inserted through. The drop screw will then screw =
into the shank thats pinned to the key. For experiments tho.. the =
neodyms will stay put just on a steel screw, where as the kitchen =
magnets probably wont. Order a few in the size range =D83 - 5 mm =
diameter and 3 - 5 mm thickness and fool around with them. There are =
perhaps several ways of employing these usefully in the action. One =
thing I heard suggested was to put attracting magnets in both the =
capstan and whippen cushion to form more of a solid coupling between =
those too... just a thought Cheers=20