V-cap update

Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:23:59 +0200

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Ric,
>
> Back in pre-convention days when I was getting 8,042,957 messages a
> day, I admit to not having read each and every e-mail in the v-cap
> thread, so I probably missed some key bits of information.  I aplogize
> in advance for asking questions you've probably answered more than
> once.
>
> Where are you doing this experiment(s)?

Im afraid you will have to back track a bit through recent
archives...about two weeks back for the full story... but it is
basically about a new touchweight manipulation scheme. New in the sense
that it changes touchweight by manipulating the weight leverage of the
action without changing the leverage with respect to distance or
velocity. Small opposing magnets are installed on the key stick forward
of the capstan and directly above on underside of the whippen. Together
these function like a second (compressible)  capstan/heel.

> What kind of piano/action are you using?

I am half way through my first full install on an August Forster small
grand. It looks like the darn thing is working way beyond my
expectations. I am finding no problem obtaining a range 12 - 15 grams of
DW relief with no significant  (none yet) drawbacks. I can adjust down
to about 3 grams if I want, or simply flip down the key magnets to
remove their influence.

You'll find some pictures in the archives, and I will be releasing a
full pictorial and article in a month or so... that is unless I find
some fatal problem with the idea between then and now. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.