Holes in wood..was something else :-)

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:10:30 EST

Interesting perspectives, to say the least.
 A couple of mind noodles to consider:
Given a chunk of wood that is solid, i.e., non laminated.......
A> on the flat grain side draw a circle of known size...
B>on the cross grain side draw the same circle....
C>and on the end grain draw the same circle. Remember we are just 'drawing'
circles not cutting holes.

1.  When this chunk of wood gains moisture what happens to the circle
size/shape?
2.  When this chunk of wood loses moisture what happens to the circle
size/shape?
3.  If this chunk were resawn into four thinner slices and glued cross grain
to each other how would that change the hole size/shape under the conditions
of #1 and #2?

Think about it. :-) or judge by experiment...........
Jim Bryant (FL)